“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” Margaret Mead

Thursday, January 21, 2016

records and cd's

For a number of years we have used an old record player for circle spin art pictures. It has been a "hit" (no pun intended) since we introduced it. The record player has 4 different speeds and children quickly learn how to adjust it to suit their drawing pleasures! I'm sure many of you have received (and maybe are hanging on the fridge in your house) many of these circle papers. 
Today a child was making multiple spin art pictures and when she was done, she explained to me that they were music CD's. Really? "Yes", she said. And then she went on to explain what type of music each "CD" played. I love this creativity, especially when it is child-initiated. Super cool!!

The heart CD plays fun, happy music.
One of the CD's plays scary, spooky music (It had a spider drawn on it).

Here she is describing it again to another teacher. So neat!!!

A side note: I asked one of the college students if they knew what a record player was? She sheepishly replied, No, I don't think so. And then I felt old. Really old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment