“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” Margaret Mead

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Conscious Discipline

I am currently taking an online Challenging Behaviors grad course through K-State and the content is on "Conscious Discipline". It is a book by Dr. Becky Bailey. I am learning a lot about myself and how to best help children learn self-regulation (learning how to manage our own emotions) skills. There are also very helpful resources for families to use at home as well. Yesterday, I introduced a technique called S.T.A.R. (a breathing technique to help {anyone} when you are upset) to the MWF session - I plan to teach the TR session very soon. S.T.A.R. stands for Smile Take a breath And Relax. We practiced this several times and I had a STAR icon for children as a reminder of what to do when they get upset. After we practiced this technique a few times, I quizzed the group....What do you do when you get upset?  STAR they replied! YES!!!
I plan to share little snippets with you as I learn more. 

Don't worry, we don't have a lot of upset children at preschool, it is just helpful to be pro-active and learn techniques before we may need to use them. 

For more information about breathing techniques and free printables, check out their website at:

https://consciousdiscipline.com/resources/safe_place_breathing_icons.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment